Thursday, July 2, 2009

I Have Lived & Learned…


When I was much younger, I had this table top daily inspirational quotes that documents what different people across different works of life, learned during their lives, given to me by my eldest sister (we call her big mummy). It was titled ‘I have lived and learned…’ This little booklet had so much impact on me (thinking about it, maybe it was the person that gave it to me) that the phrase; 'I have lived and learned' as a phrase is not scarce in my vocabulary.


Just today, (about 19 years later) I said it again and I’m thinking…I should create this series on my blog about it. It’s going to be my monthly, and I choose third Tuesdays to update…why Tuesday? Maybe because I like working late on Tuesdays (story for another day). Any ho…, I start today (Thursday) which I hope will be the only exception;


Lived & Learned Series…

1. I have lived and learned that nothing is as bad as it first appears – Nothing:
When it first happens, it may feel like the whole world is going to crash on you, or the big popular question, “Why me?”. Truth is, a couple of days later; it still feels bad, but not as bad. And somewhere down the line, we ease into the new situation. Some people however, DIE with that first most terrible feeling. Not necessarily physical death, but they congeal at that point and just refuse the force of ‘nature’ to ease the pain like it would normally.

2. I have live and learned that true joy and happiness last longer when shared: Life is more fun when your relationships are intact. A lot of people claim they can do without a ‘certain’ person. Maybe true, but if you check real deep within you, you are more fulfilled when the relationship is restored and cloudy airs are cleared, especially relationships between siblings, parents and children, husband and wife, colleagues at work and need I say MAN – WOMAN!!!

3. I have lived and learned that life is made up of seasons: Trick is to anticipate (at best) or recognize (in the least) which season you are in and make quick adaptations or adjustments. Only the person that can adapt will survive o, not just the paranoid as the popular saying goes. This is true in every area of life, marriage, friendships, transactions/business, career, sports you name it. I realize I cant continue to insist that this is my way and that’s it. No, I must be willing to accommodate others to the best of my capability at every point in time. Adaptation buys peace of mind!!!

4. I have lived and learned to choose my battles: (I have to do a part 2 of this particular lesson, why? Ability to make a good choice is an art!!!). Ok so I must not have my way at all times. But when I have to, then believe me I have to, if not, hey, we will tear shirts o!!! Really, the point is some issues are best left unpursued because you will need the energy, inner strength and weaponry for some other more critical issues.

There you go, please feel free to share your life lessons.

No comments: